Sabri Header1 Sabri Hakim: "3amo, ano jareede hay?"

Friday, September 30, 2005

"3amo, ano jareede hay?"


A flying bubble gum came through the window of my car and landed on my right thigh, I told the boy I don't have any change on me, he saw that a camera was attached to my neck and a tripod was laying on the passenger seat next to me, he asked with his face about an inch from mine "3amo, ano jareede hay" (which newspaper) "I told him khalas 3aib 3amo sit down!" heheh, don't ask me why, guess I was afraid of pointing the camera from so close and risking him harming it in any way, when he sat I told him "You want your picture taken?", he nodded I snapped the frame, the traffic light turned green and I had to move. I thought a lot about posting this or not but thought if he didn't mind it being in a newspaper, he sure wouldn't mind it being in a blog! I wish life wasn't as complicated as it is for these kids, as a child I always thought that when I grew up I would go out one, day search for homeless boys, bring them back home, give them a shower and have my wife and I cook them a good meal (with soup of course) and then putting them to bed early. Now I grew up and still want to do the same.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this picture. It is heartbreaking. I find myself imagining what I would be like if I were him. I blame the parents who allow their kids to go out and beg for money or sell candy. There was a young boy who was selling gum in the University Street in Irbid. He was always quiet and unhappy and told us once that his dad would beat him if he comes home without selling the gum and that he is good at school. I believe that kid.

-- nar

September 30, 2005 6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seeing these kids just tug at your heart strings. That could be any of us. I can never get used to seeing the kids having to sleep outside usually when they fail to sell the entire box of gum that day. I usually have to "buy" from the kids whether they are selling tissue or gum, but don't feel right taking the box or pack of gum.

I really blame the parents who exploit their own children for their benefits. The child is roaming the streets day and night, not getting an education and learning the rough life. Then what?!?!? If I could only meet the father of one of these kids in dark alley...just once.

September 30, 2005 7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:(

His parents most probably can not afford his education, I doubt they can afford to feed him in the first place.

September 30, 2005 8:29 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Wait, there is no public schooling for free for children in Jordan?

God bless this litle boy.

September 30, 2005 10:20 PM  
Blogger Anonymous Me said...

This post was really touching. I met these same children in Mexico City, selling gum on the street when they should have been in school. You have a good heart - I hope you get to carry out your plan someday. :-)

October 01, 2005 2:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Linda yes it is for free (almost) but what about the uniform, notbooks wrapping and other expenses?
What if they need him to work to look after the rest?

October 01, 2005 8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home